Monday, March 8, 2010

What does Handmade mean to you?

I recently completed an artist application that asked me to describe how buying and selling handmade products benefits society. I had no idea how strongly I would feel about that and was surprised to find that it's a subject near and dear to my heart.
So I thought I'd take a moment, pull out my trusty soapbox, and tell you all about it!

Buying handmade is an incredible experience. It allows a consumer to be an active participant in changing someone’s life instead of being just another invisible cog in the wheels of daily commerce. Every time someone spends their hard earned money in my shop they’re giving me an incredible gift, the ability to do what I love. As a buyer you are allowing me to stay home with my children who need me, create beautiful objects, and do something that makes my heart sing and my spirit soar every single day. Your purchase MEANS something to me, it’s the ticket to the life I want to live and I love you for it.

Selling handmade allows me to use every bit of my abilities to make a living. Instead of working for 'the man’ and using a quarter of the smarts and grit I have at my disposal, I’m using every bit of my body and brain to eek out a living. I’m challenged every single day and I love what I do, and it wouldn’t be possible if nobody bought handmade.

As they say in the forums, being a self-supporting artisan is hard work yo. Not only do we put our heart and souls on the line in our art we must also be a one man marketing, accounting, shipping, and sales machine if we hope to earn our daily bread. The customer who makes a simple choice to reward that diligence by buying handmade is a small miracle, and every sale is a victory for the little guy.

So when you get the chance, won't you buy handmade and make someone's day? If you already do, take a moment and tell me about what it means to you, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. a beautiful heart confession! and very inspiring, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I don't know if my customers understand the joy they give me. I'm still at my humble beginning, but I am trying to keep the faith :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn you're so right, I mean, when you buy something at walmart nobody's jumping up and down and wanting to kiss your face. I try not to be over the top effusively thankful, but I totally AM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You absolutely couldn't have said it any better and if that doesn't inspire people to purchase handmade I don't know what will !! Thanks so much for sharing this with us :) ♥struck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Clarity! Creating something from one's heart and soul, and then selling it to someone who appreciates it with their heart and soul is such a fulfilling thing on so many levels. I buy handmade too, and it also works in reverse - I cherish those creations so much more than something mass-produced in a soul-less environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice CC. Articulate and so sincere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well said. I feel exactly the same way. Thank you for expressing this so elegantly for others to read. I think that one of the biggest factors that holds people back and keeps them from embracing the handmade movement more readily is the Price controversy. So many people have the inaccurate assumption that Handmade items are grossly "overpriced" and too expensive when in reality the price that they pay for something that has been Handmade by a local artist really isn't that different than what they pay for mass produced, often inferior quality fashion pieces at the big box stores. I also wrote a blog post on the price subject several months ago if anyone would like to take a look: http://mistyridgedesigns.blogspot.com/search/label/Editorial

    ReplyDelete